Bathtubs are an essential component of every house, and they are available in a range of forms and materials to suit your tastes. Your bathtub is one of the most frequented rooms in your house and the bathroom’s center point. It is where one takes hot baths, soaks after a hard day, or soothes a weary back with a peaceful soak.
However, although a bathtub is a staple in most houses, it is not always in good condition. Fortunately, updating your bathtub is really simple. And with a little of time, patience, and knowledge, you can either replace your bathtub or redecorate it for a more current, contemporary appearance.
What is a Reglazed Bathtub?
A bathtub reglazing is a cosmetic restoration that replaces your bathtub’s inside porcelain covering with a new glaze. If the porcelain coating on your bathtub is damaged or cracked, the surface becomes less secure. It will harm you if you slip on it, and it may also encourage the growth of germs that may make you sick. Worn porcelain also makes it more difficult to clean, which increases the expense of upkeep.
Why Should a Bathtub Be Replaced?
There are circumstances in which you may need to replace your bathtub rather than refinish it. The first issue is that your bathtub is fractured and shattered in many spots. This is a severe problem that cannot be resolved by re-glazing. It is costly to replace a cracked or damaged bathtub. A tub reglaze may provide temporary relief, but it is not a long-term solution.
- Reglazing is more affordable. You may have your tub reglazed within a few days of discovering the leak, and you will save a significant amount of money compared to replacing the tub.
- Less complicated than replacing the bathtub. Another advantage of bathtub reglazing is that it makes bathtub replacement considerably simpler.
- Less time is required. Reglazing is far quicker than replacement. In addition, there will be no need to wait for a new tub to come from the manufacturer.
- Less mess than bathtub replacement. You will not have to deal with many contractors entering your home and cutting holes in the bathroom’s walls (or ceilings) to access the tub.
- Requires less work than replacement. Because the reglazing simply impacts the tab, you may still use the restroom throughout the process. High-quality bathtub restoration may result in a beautifully crafted and well-maintained product.
Cons of Getting a Bathtub Reglazed
- Only one time is possible. If the process doesn’t fit your needs, you’ll have to look for something else.
- The material used to re-glaze depends on the weather so that it can dry. This means that the work can’t be done in the summer.
- Reglazing your tub is not as long-lasting as getting a new one.
- The chemicals that are used in refinishing are very dangerous and can cause health problems. When breathed in, they can make you tired, give you headaches, and irritate your throat. So, this job should be done by a professional contractor.
- The bathtub that has to be reglazed must be in bad shape. Refinishing is a way to cover up small repairs with a cosmetic makeover.
Advantages of Changing a Bathtub
- Replacement is a lasting solution. You will not need to remodel your bathtub in the near future.
- With replacement, the bathtub is replaced with a new tub. This is often the simplest choice and does not need the demolition of any bathroom walls or fixtures.
- You may choose the material to be used from the available selections and pick a less costly one.
Cons of Bathtub Substitution
- The method is not inexpensive. Consider the cost of removal, installation, and replacement flooring. If you lack experience with these chores, they may cost more than reglazing the tub.
- You will not have access to the restroom during renovation.
- Replacement involves a great deal more physical effort due to the several steps required. This entails destroying the old tub, removing its parts, and installing the new tub.
- The installation of a bathtub might take up to one month.
- The quality of the new bathtub may not be superior to the previous one. In many instances, the material used to create earlier tabs is of greater quality than that used to create more current ones.
The bathtub is one of the few house fixtures that is seldom updated. It is simple to see why when you consider the possible problems and disadvantages. There are, fortunately, steps you can do to make your bathtub safer and more lasting. If you need a new bathtub, you should consider replacing your current one. Bathtub replacement is more costly than bathtub reglazing, but it is also more durable.